Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The Recycle Can


I was going to wait until Halloween to post these pics, but I couldn't do it. So for Halloween this year Alec INSISTED that he dress up as a recycle can. Matt and I tried to sway him a bit, suggesting that maybe he be the recycle truck driver or a trash man, but he would have none of it. So - here he is all dressed up as a recycle can. I was thrilled to find a small recycle can that matches the big ones we use at Home Depot for $6, so we cut off the bottom, added some suspenders, and voila. We also added an "I love garbage trucks" hat to the ensemble and our best attempt at a trash vest, I looked everywhere and couldn't find one. On Friday night the community center down the street had a Halloween party, so Alec got to unveil his costume. Here he is posing with his pumpkins and the bat cave we have set up on our fireplace. We worked on his new "cheese" face all day and we are pretty happy with the results.



A part of the Halloween party was a costume contest and we thought Alec looked so cute we figured what the heck.
Wearing his number and lining up for the judges
Waiting for the results, sitting in the can proved to be a little tough
And what do you know - Alec won a trophy!! There were probably over 100 kids in the contest, so we were super surprised that Alec won one of about 8 awards. He got an honorable mention trophy along with the honor of going up on stage with the other winners. The judges all loved that his saying this year is "trick or trash." As you can see, he was a little shocked by the whole thing, but now he LOVES the trophy.
With the other winners
After the contest we went outside to see all the trucks that were there for the kiddos to test drive. The trash truck was of course Alec's favorite, and the people in charge of it were so impressed with his costume that they gave Alec an official Veoila trash vest (looks like I didn't need to buy one after all.) What's especially funny is that Alec now wants to wear the trash vest whenever he plays with the trash cans in the back year, which is pretty much daily.
In heaven
Sporting his new vest and trophy
Of course we finished up the night with the trick or treat street, which Alec loved. He certainly understands the whole concept of getting candy for Halloween this year and was very happy with all his loot.

Posing with his buddy Sam, the ghost
All in all, a great night. Looks like Alec's recycle can wasn't such a bad idea after all.

5 comments:

Sweet Baby James said...

OMG, you have got to be kidding me!!! Love it!!!! And I seriously love the fact that he won a trophy-hilarious. James keeps talking about winning a contest for his costume and I don't want to break it to him that there isn't one. Alec's costume last year inspired James' this year. Alec is a Halloween genius, we love him!

Grammy G. said...

I LOVE the recycle can.
I LOVE the new cheese face.
I LOVE the bat cave.
I LOVE the trophy.
I LOVE the "Trick or Trash"
.....guess I just LOVE the boy all the way around!!!!
p.s. I also LOVE the new LILL bag!

Lacey said...

Ditto what Grammy G said! He is too cute, what a creative funny kid!
...and I'm still waiting for a belly shot! Hope you are feeling well!

erin b said...

What a wonderful story! Go Alec! I showed your post & pics to Joe and we just love it. The cutest recycle bin ever.

JonandBarbara said...

Hugs to you guys. Alec and the turkey shot first pose shot I've seen of him. You look terrific Erin. Kara and Rod hosted Thanksgiving for 20 people. Go Kara and Rod. We had awesome time.
Hug the blondie boy. Looks like Thanksgiving good in Wheaton.
Bub